Outside Financial Aid

East-West Center Graduate Degree Fellowships

Both M.A. and Ph.D. students are eligible for East-West Center Graduate Degree Fellowships. For M.A. students, the term of the grant ranges from 12 to 24 months. Ph.D. students may receive the grant from 12 up to (but rarely) 48 months. Applications are available in August from the Selection Office at the East-West Center.

Jacob Peace Endowment Fund

The Jacob Peace Endowment Fund is supported by an endowment contributed in honor of the late Philip E. Jacob, an internationally-renowned scholar in international relations and cross-national analysis. The award provides approximately $500 to a graduate or undergraduate student for a project, paper, or equivalent endeavor related to efforts for achieving peace. Applicants submit either completed work or a proposal for work to be completed to the Matsunaga Institute for Peace.

The Research Corporation of the University of Hawai‘i (RCUH)

The Research Corporation of the University of Hawai‘i provides six assistantships annually to graduate students from all fields of study. These highly competitive awards provide support for intensive participation in research. More information is available through Graduate Division.

Graduate Student Organization Travel Fund

A small sum of money is available each semester from the Graduate Student Organization (GSO) Travel Fund to help offset travel expenses for qualified graduate students who will be making presentations or reading papers at out-of-state conferences. Competition for the awards is high, with only a few of those applying being selected.

Other Forms of Financial Aid

Other forms of financial assistance, including tuition waivers, scholarships, and loans are available through the Financial Aid Services Office and other entities on and off campus. These include the Basic Educational Opportunities Grants and the Supplemental Student Loans program. In addition, there is Student Employment, a Co-Op Program, and a Federal Work-Study Program. State Higher Education Loans are also available; however, one-year Hawai‘i residency is a criterion for such awards. Information and applications should be requested directly from:

Financial Aid Services
University of Hawai‘i at Mānoa
2600 Campus Road
QLCSS, Room 112
Honolulu, HI 96822
Telephone: (808) 956-7251
Fax: (808) 956-3985